WSET LEVEL 3 AWARD IN WINES - ONLINE
WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Online is a nine-week class, with fixed beginning and ending dates. After the course has ended, students will take a proctored, in-person exam in Las Vegas. Exams can only be taken in Las Vegas. Please see registration information below for specific exam dates. Advanced registration is required.
The WSET Level 3 Award in Wines course is an advanced wine course suited for industry professionals working in hospitality, wholesale, and retail, or wine enthusiasts looking to gain an in-depth understanding of wines. Students will gain detailed knowledge regarding factors that influence the quality, style and price of wines around the world. This course provides detailed coverage of grape growing and winemaking. Students will also learn to assess wine accurately, and be able to explain the factors contributing to different wine price points.
For more information regarding the course, please see the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines Specification, located here.
- Week 1: Factors Affecting Style, Quality, and Price of Wine
- Principal natural and human factors in the vineyard and winery and how they influence the style, quality, and price of wine
- Week 2: Tasting Technique, Wine Laws, and Service
- Learn to taste and describe wine using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT)
- Principles of food and wine pairing, storage, and wine service
- Week 3-5: Factors Affecting the Style and Quality of Wines from Europe
- Natural and human factors influencing the wines in key wine regions and districts of Europe
- Week 6-7: Factors Affecting the Style and Quality of Wines from Europe
- Natural and human factors influencing the wines in key wine regions of the rest of the world and the key regional grape variety specialities of the rest of the world
- Week 8: Sparkling and Fortified Wines
- Methods of production and main styles from key wine producing regions
- Week 9: Revision
- Revision exercises, mock exam, exam prep
Tasting is an important part of this course. A list of recommended tasting samples can be found inside your course. Cost of tasting samples is not included in the course fee.
- 10 hours study per week is recommended
- Students may access the material at any times during the course period, no set log in times
- This course includes weekly activities and forums, and weekly textbook chapters
- Also included in the course are specialized webinars from our educators covering tasting technique and other special topics. These webinars will be live, but students will be able to access the recordings if they prefer to watch the webinars at a later date. Students attending the webinars live will be able to ask questions of educators as in a real classroom setting.
- The exam consists of two sections: 50-question multiple choice, and a short written answer section, and a blind-tasting of two wines
- WSET Level 2 Award in Wines is highly recommended prior to completing the Level 3 qualification
- All examination fees and study materials are included
- Successful candidates will receive a WSET certificate of completion and lapel pin, and the use of the WSET Level 3 logo for business cards or other professional materials
- Access to an online student forum and educator is included
- Course materials ship within two business days. We do recommend registering sooner to allow yourself more time to learn the material
- Students have the option of participating in a tasting workshop/review the day before the exam - please see posted dates. This is not required, but is included in your course fee. All other tasting samples throughout the course are student-procured. Tasting workshop will be live-recorded.
- November 18 - January 26 Class - Please register by November 11
- Exam - February 14 at 11am
- Tasting Practice - February 13, 6-7:30pm
Registration Deadlines Beginning 2020
- February 10 - April 12 Class - Please register by February 3
- Exam: Late April, Early May - Time TBD
- March 16 - May 17 Class - Please register by March 9
- Exam: Time TBD
- April 13 - June 14 Class - Please register by April 6
- Exam: Time TBD
- June 8 - August 9 - Please register by June 1
- Exam: Time TBD