WSET LEVEL 2 AWARD IN WINES
About Level 2 Award In Wines
WSET's Level 2 course is perfect students looking to establish a core understanding of wines. This beginner to intermediate level is particularly helpful for those students working in the industry or wine enthusiasts seeking to expand their knowledge.
It is suitable wherever a good level of wine knowledge is required to underpin job skills and competencies, for example in the customer service and sales functions of hospitality, retailing and wholesaling industries. It is also useful for those who have a general interest in wine and wish to broaden their knowledge.
Successful candidates will be able to describe and compare the styles of wines produced from internationally and regionally important grape varieties, interpret wine labels from the main wine-producing regions of the world and give basic guidance on appropriate selection and service, as well as understand the principles of wine tasting and evaluation. Upon successful completion of the course, students will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin.
Topics covered include:
- How to taste and describe wine using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT)
- How environmental factors, grape-growing, winemaking and maturation options influence the style and quality of wines made from eight principal grape varieties: Chardonnay; Pinot Grigio/Gris; Sauvignon Blanc; Riesling; Cabernet Sauvignon; Merlot; Pinot Noir; Syrah/Shiraz
- The style and quality of wines:
- made from 22 regionally important grape varieties
- produced in over 70 geographical indications (GIs) around the world
- How grape varieties and winemaking processes influence key styles of:
- Sparkling wines
- Fortified wines
- Key labelling terms used to indicate origin, style and quality
- Principles and processes involved in the storage and service of wine
- Principles of food and wine pairing
Students must be of legal drinking age to sample any wines, however this is not a barrier to successfully completing the course.
The WSET Level 1 course, or an equivalent level of knowledge, is recommended prior to completing the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines.
Please view the WSET Level 2 Specification for addition information regarding the Level 2 course.
- Course fee includes all study materials, tasting samples (online courses excluded), and exam fees
- Tasting of a minimum of 30 wines/spirits (for students 21 and over only, in-person courses only)
- In-person courses will consist of two course days, with the exam at the end of the second day. Advanced registration is required. Registration closes approximately 3 weeks prior to class dates. In-person course dates will be posted soon. Please join our newsletter for notifications regarding the course dates, and the opening of registration.
- Advanced preparation with the WSET course materials is required prior to attending the course
- Materials ship within 2 business days, via trackable method. We recommend registering as soon as possible to allow yourself more time with the materials before the exam.
- The course requires 28 hours of study time, including 16 in-class hours (for those students taking an in-person course)
To register for the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines Online, and to view upcoming course dates, please click here...