WSET LEVEL 1 AWARD IN WINES
About Level 1
WSET's Level 1 course is perfect students with little to no prior knowledge of wines. This course is particularly helpful for those students working in food and beverage who would like to obtain a foundation of wine knowledge. This class is also well-suited for enthusiasts looking to obtain basic wine knowledge, front-line retail or hospitality workers, or anyone looking to learn about wines professionally. During this course students will explore the main types and styles of wine through sight, smell, and taste, while also gaining the basic skills to describe wine accurately, and make food and wine pairings. Students will taste a minimum of 10 wines. Upon successful completion of the course, students will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin.
Topics covered include:
- Main types and styles of wine
- Common grapes and their characteristics
- How to properly serve and store wine
- Principles of food and wine pairing
- How to describe wine using the
- How to describe wine and/or spirits style using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting® (SAT)
There are no requirements for this level, making it the place to start for many students.
Students must be of legal drinking age to sample any wines, however this is not a barrier to successfully completing the course.
The WSET Level 1 course, or an equivalent level of knowledge, is recommended prior to completing the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines and Spirits.
Please view the WSET Level 1 Specification for addition information regarding the Level 1 course.
- Course fee includes all study materials, tasting samples, and exam fees
- Tasting of a minimum of 10 wines (for students 21 or older only)
- This is an in-person course. Advanced registration is required.