WSET Level 2 Award in Wines Online is a five-week class, with fixed beginning and ending dates. After the course has ended, students will take a proctored exam. Exams can be taken in-person or online. Please see registration information below for specific in-person exam dates. Online exam dates will be arranged with you after registration, on a day of your choosing. Advanced registration is required.
WSET's Level 2 course is perfect for students looking to establish a core understanding of wines. This intermediate level course is particularly helpful for those students working in the industry or wine and spirits enthusiasts seeking to expand their knowledge. For more information regarding the course, please see the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines Specification, located here.
Topics Covered Include:
- How to taste and describe wine using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT)
- How environmental factors, grape-growing, winemaking and maturation options influence the style and quality of wines made from eight principal grape varieties: Chardonnay; Pinot Grigio/Gris; Sauvignon Blanc; Riesling; Cabernet Sauvignon; Merlot; Pinot Noir; Syrah/Shiraz
- The style and quality of wines:
- made from 22 regionally important grape varieties
- produced in over 70 geographical indications (GIs) around the world
- How grape varieties and winemaking processes influence key styles of:
- Sparkling wines
- Fortified wines
- Key labelling terms used to indicate origin, style and quality
- Principles and processes involved in the storage and service of wine
- Principles of food and wine pairing
Tasting is an important part of this course. A list of recommended tasting samples can be found inside your course. Cost of tasting samples is not included in the course fee.
- Self-paced! Log on anytime during the week to complete the weekly tasks. There are no set times to be online during the week.
- One exam registration, access to the Online Classroom, and a study pack are included in course fee
- Successful candidates will receive a WSET certificate of completion and lapel pin
- Access to an online tutor is available in the Online Classroom
- Course study materials ship within two business days. We do recommend registering sooner to allow yourself more time to familiarize yourself with the material before the course begins
- Students must complete material during the posted course dates
- Students can expect login information a few days before the course begins, via email
- Students Located Outside United States: A shipping fee will be applied to cover the cost of shipment for your final certificate and pin, and your study materials pack.
Online Exam Information
- Exam must be taken within one year of course start date
- Exams may not be taken prior to the posted end date of the course
- In order to take the online exam students will need both a computer with a webcam (ex: laptop), and a secondary device with a camera to record the exam room (ex: Android phone or iPhone).
- Please note: Chromebooks, Android tablets (Nexus 7, etc.), iOS tablets (iPad, iPad mini, etc.), and Microsoft Surface devices are not supported for the exam device, but can be used as your secondary recording device. Google Pixel phones and Huwaei P30 are not able to be used as secondary recording devices. If you have any questions regarding your devices please contact us for assistance via email: email@example.com
- An in-person exam option is available in Las Vegas for students that cannot meet the tech requirements for an online exam, or would prefer a paper exam.
Exams can be taken in-person or online. Online exam dates are selected by student, and offered every day apart from holidays. Students choosing an in-person exam will be provided a list of upcoming exam dates to select from.
Exam registration information will be provided to students after completed registration, and prior to the course start date. Exams may not be taken prior to the posted end date of the course
Course Registration Deadlines - 2022:
- February 7 - March 13 - Please Register by January 30
- February 21 - March 27 - Please Register by February 13
- March 7 - April 10 - Please Register by February 27
- March 21 - April 24 - Please Register by March 13
- April 4 - May 8 - Please Register by March 27
- April 18 - May 22 - Please Register by April 10
- May 2 - June 5 - Please Register by April 24
- May 16 - June 19 - Please Register by May 8
- May 30 - July 3 - Please Register by May 22
- June 13 - July 17 - Please Register by June 5
- June 27 - July 31 - Please Register by June 19