WSET LEVEL 2 AWARD IN WINES - ONLINE - NEW!
WSET Level 2 Award in Wines Online (previously Level 2 Award in Wines & Spirits) is a five-week class, with fixed beginning and ending dates. After the course has ended, students will take a proctored, in-person exam in Las Vegas. Please see registration information below for specific exam dates. Advanced registration is required.
WSET's Level 2 course is perfect for students looking to establish a core understanding of wines. This intermediate level course is particularly helpful for those students working in the industry or wine and spirits enthusiasts seeking to expand their knowledge. For more information regarding the course, please see the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines Specification, located here. This course will be a deeper focus on wines, without the spirits component, compared to the Level 2 Award in Wines & Spirits. Please visit our blog page for more information on the differences between the two courses.
For those students looking for in-person courses, the Level 2 Award in Wines in-person will begin in 2020. We will be continuing the Level 2 Award in Wines & Spirits in-person through 2019. Please sign-up for our newsletter to receive updates on the in-person course dates for 2020.
Topics Covered Include:
- How to taste and describe wine using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT)
- How environmental factors, grape-growing, winemaking and maturation options influence the style and quality of wines made from eight principal grape varieties: Chardonnay; Pinot Grigio/Gris; Sauvignon Blanc; Riesling; Cabernet Sauvignon; Merlot; Pinot Noir; Syrah/Shiraz
- The style and quality of wines:
- made from 22 regionally important grape varieties
- produced in over 70 geographical indications (GIs) around the world
- How grape varieties and winemaking processes influence key styles of:
- Sparkling wines
- Fortified wines
- Key labelling terms used to indicate origin, style and quality
- Principles and processes involved in the storage and service of wine
- Principles of food and wine pairing
Tasting is an important part of this course. A list of recommended tasting samples can be found inside your course. Cost of tasting samples is not included in the course fee.
- All examination fees and study materials are included
- Successful candidates will receive a WSET certificate of completion and lapel pin
- Access to an online student forum and educator is included
- Course materials ship within two business days. We do recommend registering sooner to allow yourself more time to learn the material before the course concludes.
Registration Deadlines Remaining for 2019
- August 12 - September 15 Class - Registration Closed
- Exam Thursday September 19 at 11am
- September 30 - November 3 Class - Please register by September 23
- Exam - Thursday November 7 at 11am
- October 21 - November 24 Class - Please register by October 14
- Exam - Thursday December 5 at 11am
- November 18 - December 21 Class - Please register by November 11
- Exam - Friday January 17 at 11am
Registration Deadlines Beginning 2020
- January 6 - February 9 Class - Please register by December 30
- Exam: Friday February 14 at 11am
- February 17 - March 22 Class - Please register by February 10
- Exam: Friday March 27 at 11am
- March 23 - April 26 Class - Please register by March 16
- Exam: Early May, Time TBD
- April 13 - May 17 Class - Please register by April 6
- Exam: Late May, Time TBD
- May 11 - June 14 Class - Please register by May 4
- Exam: Late June, Time TBD
- June 22 - July 26 - Please register by June 15
- Exam: Early August, Time TBD