WSET Level 2 Award in Wines Online is a five-week class, with fixed beginning and ending dates. After the course has ended, students will take a proctored exam. Exams can be taken in-person or online. Please see registration information below for specific in-person exam dates. Online exam dates will be arranged with you after registration, on a day of your choosing. Advanced registration is required.
WSET's Level 2 course is perfect for students looking to establish a core understanding of wines. This intermediate level course is particularly helpful for those students working in the industry or wine and spirits enthusiasts seeking to expand their knowledge. For more information regarding the course, please see the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines Specification, located here. WSET Level 1 in Wines is not a required prerequisite for the WSET Level 2 in Wines course.
All students must be 21 years of age or older by the first day of the course.
Topics Covered Include:
- How to taste and describe wine using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT)
- How environmental factors, grape-growing, winemaking and maturation options influence the style and quality of wines made from eight principal grape varieties: Chardonnay; Pinot Grigio/Gris; Sauvignon Blanc; Riesling; Cabernet Sauvignon; Merlot; Pinot Noir; Syrah/Shiraz
- The style and quality of wines:
- made from 22 regionally important grape varieties
- produced in over 70 geographical indications (GIs) around the world
- How grape varieties and winemaking processes influence key styles of:
- Sparkling wines
- Fortified wines
- Key labelling terms used to indicate origin, style and quality
- Principles and processes involved in the storage and service of wine
- Principles of food and wine pairing
Tasting is an important part of this course. A list of recommended tasting samples can be found inside your course. Cost of tasting samples is not included in the course fee.
- Self-paced! Log on anytime during the week to complete the weekly tasks. There are no set times to be online during the week.
- One exam registration, access to the Online Classroom, and a study pack are included in course fee
- Successful candidates will receive a WSET certificate of completion and lapel pin
- Access to an online tutor is available in the Online Classroom
- It is recommended to register sooner to allow yourself more time to familiarize yourself with the material before the course begins
- Students must complete material during the posted course dates
- Exam must be completed within one year of course start date.
- Students can expect login information a few days before the course begins, via email
- Students Located Outside United States: A shipping fee will be applied to cover the cost of shipment for your final certificate and pin, and physical study materials (if selected).
Students have a choice of a digital (e-reader) study pack, or a physical hard copy study pack. Digital materials are accessible for one year from purchase, and include highlighting, post-it, and notetaking functions. The digital materials are in an e-reader style format, and can be accessed on up to 3 different devices (laptops, tablets, or mobile phones).
Students preferring both digital and print copies please note both materials are needed in the notes section of the checkout page. We will reach out to you within 24 hours, a fee of $65 will be added for the second copy.
Online Exam Information
- Exam must be taken within one year of course start date
- Exams may not be taken prior to the posted end date of the course
- In order to take the online exam students will need both a computer with a webcam and microphone (ex: laptop), and a secondary device with a camera to record the exam room (ex: Android phone or iPhone).
- Please note: Android tablets (Nexus 7, etc.), iOS tablets (iPad, iPad mini, etc.), and Microsoft Surface devices are not supported for the exam device, but can be used as your secondary recording device.
- Google Pixel series, Huawei P30 series, Huawei Y9S, and the Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016) are not able to be used as your secondary recording camera device. If you have any questions regarding your devices please contact us for assistance.
- An in-person exam option is available in Las Vegas for students that cannot meet the tech requirements for an online exam, or who would prefer a paper exam. Dates listed below.
Exams can be taken in-person or online. Online exam dates are selected by student, and offered every day of the week, except for holidays (UK and US holidays). In-person exam dates are listed below. Students can choose either in-person or online for exams.
Online exam registration information will be provided to students after completed registration, and prior to the course start date. Exams may not be taken prior to the posted end date of the course.
October 16 - November 19, Please Register by October 8
- October 30 - December 3, Please Register by October 22
- November 13 - December 17, Please Register by November 4
- December 11 - January 14, 2024, Please Register by December 3
In-Person Exam Dates Remaining - 2023: December 7
Registration Deadlines Beginning 2024:
Please register by 12pm Pacific Time on the designated registration deadline to ensure placement onto that course.
- January 8 - February 11, Please Register by December 27
- January 22 - February 25, Please Register by January 14
- February 5 - March 10, Please Register by January 28
In-Person Exam Dates - 2024: March 14, June 27, September 19, December 12