WSET LEVEL 3 AWARD IN WINES
The WSET Level 3 course is an advanced wine course suited for industry professionals working in hospitality, wholesale, and retail, or wine enthusiasts looking to gain an in-depth understanding of wines. Students will gain detailed knowledge regarding factors that influence the quality, style and price of wines around the world. This course provides detailed coverage of grape growing and winemaking. Students will also learn to assess wine accurately, and be able to explain the factors contributing to different wine price points.
Students will taste and assess a minimum of 70 wines throughout the course.
The course will conclude with a two part exam: 50 multiple choice questions and short-answer paper, and a blind tasting of two wines.
- All examination fees and study materials are included
- Successful candidates will receive a WSET certificate of completion and lapel pin, and the use of the WSET Level 3 logo for business cards or other professional materials
- Course materials ship within two business days. We do recommend registering sooner to allow yourself more time to learn the material
Topics Covered Include
- Factors influencing style, quality, and price of wines from key wine-producing regions of the world
- Factors in the production of wine: location, grape growing, winemaking, maturation, and bottling
- Production and styles of fortified and sparkling wines
- Wine labeling laws
- Food and wine pairing, storage and service
- How to describe wine style using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting® (SAT), and assess wine quality and readiness to drink
- The WSET Level 2 Award in Wines, or WSET Level 2 Award in Spirits course is strongly recommended prior to completing the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines. Students with equivalent levels of knowledge are encouraged to take the course as well.
- Students must be of legal drinking age (21+) to register for this course, as the exam consists of a tasting portion. Students will not be able to successfully complete the course without completing the tasting portion of the exam, so those candidates who cannot participate in tastings for personal or health reasons will not be able to obtain the Level 3 qualification.
- Course fee includes all study materials, live-access/recorded webinars, tasting samples (online courses excluded), and exam
- Tasting of a minimum of 70 wines
- This is a three-day, in-person course, the exam will be held at the end of the third day. Prior to attending the course, students will work through the course material, and be able to view specialized webinars covering tasting technique and special topics. These webinars will be recorded live, so students can interact with our educators and ask questions. The webinars will also be recorded for students to watch at a later time if necessary.
- Advanced registration is required. Registration closes approximately 2 weeks prior to class dates.
- Advanced preparation with WSET course materials is required prior to attending the course
- This course requires a minimum of 52 hours of study time outside of class, in order to successfully prepare for the exam
- The Level 3 Award in Wines is the pre-requisite course for the WSET Level 4 Diploma in Wines
- Upon successful completion of the course students will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin, and the ability to use the WSET Level 3 Logo on business cards, or other professional material.
- Online options coming soon
- December 6-8, 2019 - Please register by November 24
- March 20-22, 2020 - Please register by March 8
- June 5-7, 2020 - Please register by May 24
- September 18-20, 2020 - Please register by September 6
- December 11-13, 2020 - Please register by November 29