The WSET Level 2 Award in Wines (previously Level 2 Award in Wines & Spirits) is perfect for students looking to establish a core understanding of wines. This intermediate level course is particularly helpful for those students working in the industry or wine and spirits enthusiasts seeking to expand their knowledge. For more information regarding the course, please see the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines Specification, located here.
This is a two day class, held from 10am-6pm daily. The exam will be taken at the end of the second day. Students must register in advance for the course. Registration closes approximately 2 weeks prior to the course start date. Advanced registration is required. Exams taken in-person in Las Vegas.
Topics Covered Include:
- How to taste and describe wine using the WSET Level 2 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT)
- How environmental factors, grape-growing, winemaking and maturation options influence the style and quality of wines made from eight principal grape varieties: Chardonnay; Pinot Grigio/Gris; Sauvignon Blanc; Riesling; Cabernet Sauvignon; Merlot; Pinot Noir; Syrah/Shiraz
- The style and quality of wines:
- made from 22 regionally important grape varieties
- produced in over 70 geographical indications (GIs) around the world
- How grape varieties and winemaking processes influence key styles of:
- Sparkling wines
- Fortified wines
- Key labelling terms used to indicate origin, style and quality
- Principles and processes involved in the storage and service of wine
- Principles of food and wine pairing
- E-Books Now Available!
- All examination fees (one exam attempt), tasting samples, study materials are included
- Registration includes two live webinars to help you prepare for the course
- Webinars will be recorded for future viewing
- Successful candidates will receive a WSET certificate of completion and lapel pin
- Course materials ship within two business days. We do recommend registering sooner to allow yourself more time to learn the material before the course concludes
- Students will taste a minimum of 30 wines
- This level requires outside study time and preparation prior to attending class. The course requires a minimum of 12 hours of at-home study prior to attending the course.
Course Dates Beginning 2021:
- We are currently running Online Level 2 courses only due to COVID restrictions. Additional information on the Level 2 in Wines Online can be found here.
- In-person courses will resume when restrictions allow, please check back for dates!
Students must be of legal drinking age to sample any wines, however this is not a barrier to successfully completing the course.
Students must be at least 18 years of age to complete the L2 written exam.
The WSET Level 1 course, or an equivalent level of knowledge, is recommended prior to completing the WSET Level 2 Award in Wines.