The WSET Level 3 course is an advanced wine course suited for industry professionals working in hospitality, wholesale, and retail, or wine enthusiasts looking to gain an in-depth understanding of wines. Students will gain detailed knowledge regarding factors that influence the quality, style and price of wines around the world. This course provides detailed coverage of grape growing and winemaking. Students will also learn to assess wine accurately, and be able to explain the factors contributing to different wine price points.
For more information on the qualification, please see the Level 3 Award in Wines Specification.
The course will conclude with a two part exam: 50 multiple choice questions and short-answer paper, and a blind tasting of two wines.
Topics Covered Include
- Factors influencing style, quality, and price of wines from key wine-producing regions of the world
- Factors in the production of wine: location, grape growing, winemaking, maturation, and bottling
- Production and styles of fortified and sparkling wines
- Wine labeling laws
- Food and wine pairing, storage and service
- How to describe wine style using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting® (SAT), and assess wine quality and readiness to drink
- The WSET Level 2 Award in Wines, or WSET Level 2 Award in Spirits course is strongly recommended prior to completing the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines. Students with equivalent levels of knowledge are encouraged to take the course as well.
- Students must be of legal drinking age (21+) to register for this course, as the exam consists of a tasting portion. Students will not be able to successfully complete the course without completing the tasting portion of the exam, so those candidates who cannot participate in tastings for personal or health reasons will not be able to obtain the Level 3 qualification.
- E-Books Now Available!
- Course fee includes all study materials, webinars, tasting samples (online courses excluded), and exam
- This is a three-day, in-person course, the exam will be held at the end of the third day. Prior to attending the course, students will work through the course material, and be able to view specialized webinars covering tasting technique and special topics.
- Exam dates are flexible due to the current situation
- Advanced registration is required. Registration closes 3 weeks prior to class dates.
- Advanced preparation with WSET course materials is required prior to attending the course
- This course requires a minimum of 52 hours of study time outside of class, in order to successfully prepare for the exam. Some students may require more preparation.
- The Level 3 Award in Wines is a pre-requisite course for the WSET Level 4 Diploma in Wines
- Course materials ship within two business days. We do recommend registering sooner to allow yourself more time to learn the material
- Upon successful completion of the course students will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin, and the ability to use the WSET Level 3 Logo on business cards, or other professional material
- Upon registration, students will receive access to the Level 3 webinar series. This includes 6 webinars covering key Level 3 concepts. Webinars are approximately 1.5 hours each. Topics covered in the webinars include:
- Webinar 1: Introduction to Course, Study Strategies, How to Prepare
- Webinar 2: Tasting Technique (Students are highly encouraged to purchase the two wines utilized for tasting during this webinar, in order to practice along with the webinar. Wine samples to be tasted: Italian Pinot Grigio, Rioja Reserva)
- Webinar 3: Viticulture
- Webinar 4: Vinification
- Webinar 5: Law and Regulation in the Wine World
- Webinar 6: Test Preparation
Registration Deadlines Beginning 2021:
- March 19 - 21, 2021 - Please register by February 21
- June 11 - 13, 2021 - Please register by May 16
- September 17 - 19, 2021 - Please register by August 22
- December 10 - 12, 2021 - Please register by November 14