WSET Level 1 Award in Wines Online is a four week online class, with fixed beginning and ending dates. After the course has ended, students will take a proctored exam. Exams can be taken in-person or online. Exam dates will be arranged with you after registration. Online exams can be taken at a day and time that works for your schedule. Set dates available for in-person exams. Advanced registration required.
All students must be 21 years of age or older by start date of course.
For individuals new to wine study, this qualification provides a hands-on introduction to the world of wine. Students will explore the main types and styles of wine through sight, smell, and taste, while also gaining the basic skills to describe wines accurately, and make food and wine pairings.
For more information regarding the Level 1 course, please review the Level 1 Specification.
Tasting is an important part of this course. A list of recommended tasting samples can be found inside your course. Cost of tasting samples is not included in the course fee.
Online Modules include:
- Module 1: What is Wine & How is it Made?
- Module 2: Types & Styles of Wine
- Module 3: Introduction to Tasting
- Module 4: Grape Varieties & Wines
- Module 5: Storage & Service of Wines
- Module 6: Pairing Food & Wines
- Module 7: Revision
- Self-paced! Log on anytime during the week to complete the weekly tasks. There are no set times to be online during the week.
- One exam registration, and access to the Online Classroom are included in course fee
- Successful candidates will receive a WSET certificate of completion and lapel pin
- All course materials are online
List of wines to be tasted will be shared with students on first day of course. All wine styles are able to be ordered online, picked up from major grocery stores , or picked up from beverage stores.
- Students can expect login information a few days before the course begins, via email
- Students must complete the material during the posted dates of the course.
- Students Located Outside of United States: A shipping fee will be applied for shipment for your final certificate and pin.
Online Exam Information
- Pick the exam date that works for you!
- Exam must be taken within one year of course start date
- Exams may not be taken prior to the posted end date of the course
- In order to take the online exam students will need both a computer with a webcam and microphone (ex: laptop), and a secondary device with a camera to record the exam room (ex: Android phone or iPhone).
- Please note: Android tablets (Nexus 7, etc.), iOS tablets (iPad, iPad mini, etc.), and Microsoft Surface devices are not supported for the exam device, but can be used as your secondary recording device.
Google Pixel series, Huawei P30 series, Huawei Y9S, and the Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016) are not able to be used as your secondary recording camera device. If you have any questions regarding your devices please contact us for assistance.
- An in-person exam option is available in Las Vegas for students that cannot meet the tech requirements for an online exam, or who would prefer a paper exam. Dates listed below.
Exams can be taken in-person or online. Online exam dates are selected by student, and offered every day of the week, except for holidays (UK and US holidays). In-person exam dates are listed below. Students can choose either in-person or online for exams.
Remaining 2022 in-person exam date options: December 11
Online exam registration information will be provided to students after completed registration, and prior to the course start date. Exams may not be taken prior to the posted end date of the course
- January 9 - February 5, Please Register by December 28
- February 6 - March 5, Please Register by January 29
- March 20 - April 14, Please Register by March 12
- May 1 - May 28, Please Register by April 23
In-Person Exam Dates Beginning 2023: March 8, June 28, September 6, December 6